this blog is for anyone who wants to get information about trans people and the rest of the LGBTQ community. richard would love it if you wanted to be an admin of this group, just leave your email address in the ask box!
Newsflash, Everyone: Tom Daley Isn’t Gay
He’s queer. And yes, it does make a big difference.
Tom explicitly says in the video that he still “fancies girls,” and he never uses the word “gay,” “homosexual,” or any other synonymous word to describe his sexuality.
The fact that media outlets immediately jump to the conclusion that he’s gay not only contributes to the issue of LGBTQ erasure, it also misrepresents what Tom Daley said, which was exactly what he wanted to avoid by making the YouTube video in the first place.
So get your facts straight everyone. Tom made an incredibly courageous decision in coming out and he deserves our support and respect.
"Ive been dating girls but I’ve never really had a serious relationship to talk about and now I feel ready to talk about my relationships.
Come Spring this year, my life changed, massively. When I met someone and they made me feel so happy, so safe and everything just feels…great. Well that someone is a guy, and it did take me by surprise a little bit. It was always in the back of my head that that could happen, but it wasn’t until Spring this year that it just clicked and felt right.” - Tom Daley x
Wow! The cover of my book Redefining Realness, available for pre-order now. Here’s 7 easy ways you can support my baby!
1. Pre-order your copy on Amazon, B&N or iBooks. Pre-order sales are vital to a first-time author like me. It shows my publisher and major booksellers that there are readers who believe in Redefining Realness (the first popular press-backed books about the experiences of a young trans woman of color) and its empowering message of authenticity, self-determination and love.
2. One of my all-time favorite gifts is a good story. Recommend Redefining Realness and/or pre-order a copy of the book for someone you know will read it and love it. Storysharing is the gift the continues to give.
4. Share one of the following sample messages on Twitter or Facebook using the hashtag #RedefiningRealness:
- #RedefiningRealness by @janetmock will be released on 2/4/14 but you can get your copy now at http://janetmock.com/books
- I just pre-ordered my copy of #RedefiningRealness by @janetmock. Get yours now! http://janetmock.com/books
- I’m gagging over the cover of #RedefiningRealness by @janetmock. Pre-order your copy now at http://janetmock.com/books
- Learn how you can support #RedefiningRealness by @janetmock & pre-order your copy now http://janetmock.com/books
- I just LIKEd #RedefiningRealness by @janetmock on Facebook http://facebook.com/redefiningrealness Pre-order your copy now http://janetmock.com/books
- Just added #RedefiningRealness by @janetmock to my @Goodreads shelf http://bit.ly/16bniCz! Pre-order your copy now http://janetmock.com/books
5. If you’re a journalist, vlogger, blogger, podcaster, writer or media maker, feature the book. I can be contacted at email@example.com for a quote or interview.
6. If you’re an educator, a campus leader or event organizer, invite me to speak at your campus or event. I can do a talk, read from my book and sign copies for readers, and will be traveling intensely in 2014 for my book/speaking tour. I can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
7. If you have the capacity, purchase bulk orders for your class or group. My publisher can offer a great discount. Email email@example.com for details.
Until two years ago, Luke “Sasha” Fleischman was a shy teen, a loner with odd hobbies and a bright mind, but far from a civil rights activist.
But between Fleischman’s freshman and senior year something changed: Fleischman decided to identify as agender or “nonbinary” gender, neither male nor female. Sasha asked to be referred to by the pronouns “they,” “them,” and “their.”
Family members say that very personal decision helped the teen blossom. But police believe it also led another teenager to light Fleischman’s skirt on fire as the student slept on a local bus, causing severe injuries that could take months to heal.
Since the incident, public support for the injured 18-year-old has been overwhelming, with more than $20,000 raised to help with medical expenses and civil rights leaders expressing outrage about the case. And understanding seems to be growing about the issues of gender identity that Fleischman hoped to call attention to.
On Friday, about half the 100 students at Maybeck High School in Berkeley, where Fleischman attended, wore skirts for Skirts for Sasha Day and carried signs reading, “Get well, Sasha, we miss you.”
100 students stood up in support of a genderqueer kid i am HAVING FEELINGS
The gender feels are incredible. Oh, the feels…
Today is the International Transgender Day of Remembrance, a day we set aside to honor those who have suffered as a result of anti-trans* hate crimes and prejudice. Today, we remind ourselves to recognize the unique challenges faced by the trans* members of our communities, and pledge to do more to help all year round. For information about TDOR or events that may be happening near you, check out the official website. This is a really important day, and a chance to educate lots of people about some really crucial issues. Let’s take the opportunity.
Why FCKH8 is NOT an Ally to the Queer Community
- That time they made fun of asexuality and diversity of the queer community in one fell swoop
- That time they became hypocrites about it to avoid being called acephobic (not to mention cissexist/ not trans* inclusive)
- That time they used misogyny to empower cis gay men, alienate lesbians, forget about bisexuality, and be cissexist about all forms of sexuality
- That time they stole ideas from queer charities to make a profit
- That time they stole ideas from bloggers to make a profit
- That time reviews show just how shitty they are at doing business anways
- That time they paralleled racial segregation to the gay rights movement because they are definitely the same thing
- That time they used stereotypes of Black women to render them into props
- That time they ignored gender neutral pronouns, cited religion as a reason for doing so, and harassed someone over it
- Basically all of the stuff folks are reporting on this tumblr I keep linking ya’ll to
They harass and disrespect people on their facebook page. They are actively cissexist, transphobic, asexual erasing, racist, sexist, and misogynist in order to sell shitty, overpriced t-shirts that they stole from charities.
So in other words, fuck fckh8.
(I understand that a lot of parodies of fckh8 have recently appeared on tumblr and other social network websites. As far as I am aware none of the links I have posted above are parodies, and are actually associated with fckh8.
If you notice any disparities, please let me know.)
Reblog this right now.
Everything you wanted to know about transgender people but were afraid to ask.
A handy guide for y’all
Pass it along. Super helpful definitions.
this is important and p informative but there ARE trans* people who do use it pronouns but calling people it in a derogatory way makes u a literal piece of trash, small psa
Guess what y’all — it’s Transgender Awareness Week! This week is about honoring voices and experiences from the Trans* community and embracing different gender identities. Because, let’s face it, gender isn’t always cut and dry. For some people, it’s complicatedº. So let’s take this time to listen, learn, share, and celebrate.
This great infographic from Fenway Health breaks it all down when it comes to Trans* health. Check it out and share!
-Chelsea @ Planned Parenthood
ºPersonally, I see gender as a big ball of wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey stuff — but that’s just me.